Bunion is a painful inflammation or bony bump that develops on the base of the big toe. It is usually caused by continuous use of tight shoes. Smaller bunions also develop on the joints of the other fingers of the toe. The problem of bunions can be prevented by wearing comfortable foot wears. Even wearing sandals instead of tight and high heeled shoes is found to be useful in preventing the formation of bunion.
When a person’s leg is injured or an inherited bone structure results in the big toe being pushed toward the other toes on the foot. This may again result in painful toe which causes difficulties in walking; exercising etc… here we are discussing some curing measures. Try these out…
Practice Walking Barefoot
If any of your parents have bunions, then there is a probability for you to get inherited bunion. So instead of wearing tight shoes try to walk in barefoot for more time as you can. Walking barefoot strengthens your toes and it will give more effect if you walk on sand.
Use Proper Shoes
If you wear bunion alleviating shoes, instead of normal shoes, it will give better result.
Barefoot shoes are now available which helps you to flex to toes freely. Care must be taken while selecting shoes that they should be at your right size.
We can avoid chances for bunion
Constrictive shoes which are used in ballet dancing may lead to bunions. If the shoes are not suiting, then avoid it as well as avoid activities that may cause bunions.
Do Foot Exercises
Try some foot exercises which can slow or even halt the progression of your bunion.
Some of the exercises are:
• Stretch your big toe by using your fingers to pull your big toe into proper alignment with the rest of your toes.
• Repeat stretching the rest of your toes by simply pointing them straight ahead for 10 seconds, and now curl them under for 10 seconds.
• Repeat flexing your toes by pressing it against the floor or a wall until they are bent back. Hold them for 10 seconds, then release.
• Increase grip with your toes by practice picking up a towel or any cloth with your toes, dropping it, and then picking it up again.
Wear a Bunion Pad
Bunion pad will help you to alleviate pain and direct your toe back to the proper direction
Tape Your Foot
Tape your foot and toes into a normal alignment position so that your toes may adapt to the normal position after a week or two. Take medical assistance if needed.
Relieve The Pain
• Soak your feet in warm water for twenty minutes. You will be relieved from pain temporarily.
• Apply an ice pack to the toe and this can effectively reduce the pain.
• At severe conditions, take medicines as per the instruction of a medical professional.
Natural Cures For Bunions
Most bunions subside on their own by changing to a comfortable footwear and does not require any medical treatment. Bunions effectively respond to natural remedies at home
It is one of the effective herbal remedies for providing relief from bunion. Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties that help shrink the size of the bunion and provide relief pain that is associated with the bunion. Chamomile tea can be consumed regularly or used tea bags can be directly applied on the bunions for instant relief.
This has anti-inflammatory properties which help in the treatment of bunions. Calendula is available in compounds and ointments which can be applied on the bunions thrice a day for three weeks.
Turmeric contains capsaicin which helps to reduce inflammation and pain of the bunions. A spoon of turmeric can also be drank with water as a natural inflammatory.
This is found to be beneficial in giving relief from severe pain and swellings caused by the formation of bunion. Epsom salt is also helpful in softening the skin and thus helping in joint disorders of the toe joint. Soak the feet for half an hour in a bucket of hot water in which a cup of Epsom salt is mixed.
This process laid on the affected foot also helps in giving relief from pain. This can be done by heat pads. It is helpful in enhancing the blood circulation under the food which helps in reducing the swellings.
Just like hot compresses cold compress is equally beneficial for reduction of bunion symptoms. Apply an ice pack on the bunion for 10 minutes
It is an excellent remedy to treat cases of bunion. Warm castor oil can be applied daily on the bunions to get relief from inflammation and pain.
Aspirin is valuable in the treatment for bunions. Simply grind three tablets of aspirin and mix in a bucket of warm water. Soak the affected feet in the water for 20 minutes. This process helps in relieving the pain and swellings caused by the bunion.
Massaging the foot with bunions helps in healing the bunions and giving relief from the pain and swelling of the bunion. Toe spacers can also be used to reduce the pressure on the big toe from the other toes.
Bay leaf treatment
This is very effective in treating bunions. Mix crushed bay leaf and a cup of alcohol and leave the concoction for a week. Then strain it and apply on the bunions. Before applying the mixture soak the feet in warm water to which baking soda has been added. Dry the feet with a towel, apply the mixture and wear socks
For reducing the risks of development of a bunion along with lowering the chances of needing surgery in case you already have one, pay heed to your footwear.
• Buy footwear which has a front which is wide, toes which are broad and soles which are soft.
• For distribution of pressure evenly while moving your feet use shoe which is padded.
• Go for shoes having a toe area wide and deep in case you have a bunion. A good choice can be the sandals.
• Do not wear more than 2 1/4 inches of heels.
• For more than three hours do not wear high-heeled shoes.
• Go for footwear which conforms to the shape of your feet.
• In case the shoe doesn’t fit do not force your foot.
• Also avoid socks or stockings which are tight-fitting.
• To give your feet some break during the day remove your shoes periodically.
It is very important that check on the food you are consuming to curb the bunion related inflammation and pain. Many foods contain anti-inflammation properties thus can fight and prevent inflammation while on the other hand some foods increase inflammation in our body.
• Olives, salmon, ginger, strawberries, turmeric, blueberries, tart cherries, sweet potatoes, walnuts and garlic are some anti-inflammatory foods. So try to eat them daily.
• Red meat, processed meat, refined sugar, eggs, whey protein, corn oil, refined salt and refined grains are some foods which promote inflammation so try to avoid it.
Other than consuming anti-inflammatory foods, increase your intake of protein along with food which is rich sources of vitamins A, B complex, C and E.
Exercising your foot can help in lowering the pain and increase the flexibility of toe. Also the growth of your bunion may also slow down, thus preventing the need for the surgery.
The muscles of your legs and feet also strengthen due to daily exercise and may also prevent any further development of bunions.