As we know it, rice water has multiple potent uses ranging from being a simple beverage you can snack on to being remedy for diarrhea and constipation to being perfect for skincare issues like blackheads, wrinkles and scars. Considering how easy it is to get rice, you will agree with me that the potentials of this great resource in our hands are totally underutilized. Early female Japanese rice farmers were known to bathe in the rice water from their farms and records have it that their life expectancy increased to a little above 95 years on the average.
Let us take a look at several ways you can make rice water from the convenience of your home.
Horchata (rice water beverage)
- 2 liters of water
- One cup of long grain rice
- A stick of cinnamon
- Half cup of sugar
- One teaspoon of vanilla (optional)
- Put the rice, cinnamon and water in a pot and steep for about three hours. Make sure you break the cinnamon into pieces.
- Heat up till it boils then allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Blend all the contents of the pot to get a uniform mixture.
- Strain the mixture.
- Add your sugar and vanilla and refrigerate.
Cold brew rice water
This is essential for topical treatment.
- Rinse the rice properly and ensure the holes in your collainder are small enough to prevent the rice from going through.
- Soak the rice in a bowl of water for about 30 minutes.
- Stir the rice gently and use a spoon or your fingers to gently press the rice to release the vitamin and mineral contents into the water.
- Strain the mixture and store in the refrigerator.
Fermented cold brew
- Follow the steps in making the cold brew rice water.
- Allow the rice water stay at room temperature for between 12 to 48 hours, this will allow it to ferment.
- Strain the liquid again and boil. Then use or store again.