Virtually every part of the potato is very useful for skin and beauty care, the peel, juice and inner part of the potato itself all have their individual benefits. Catecholase is an enzyme present in potato and it is known to possess powerful skin lightening properties. These lightening properties help to clear out acne scars, dark spots, blemishes, wrinkles and fine lines. Asides these abilities, potatoes also have the ability of evening out skin color, smoothening the skin and fixing discoloration and pigmentation issues.
Studies show that potatoes contain several nutrients which are key for nourishing the skin, moisturizing it and keeping it from drying out. Here are a few of the nutrients:
- Vitamin B6. This allows for the development of new skin cells. It also helps to moisturize the skin and keep it healthy.
- Vitamin C. About 70% of the potato is made up of vitamin C. As we all know, vitamin C improves the formation of collagen, as well as increase the elastic properties of the skin. Asides these it protects the skin from ultraviolet rays as well neutralize the effects of free radicals.
- Potassium. This works perfectly to soothe itchy skin as well as improving skin hydration while acting as a good moisturizer.
- Magnesium. This is important for maintaining smooth youthful skin. Works well against the effects of free radicals like fine lines and wrinkles.
- Calcium. This simply works to heal dry skin.
Now that you know the nutrients present in potato, let us take a look at the different benefits of using potato face mask.
- Potato mask helps to tighten and brighten the skin. This works well when mixed with yogurt which is rich in zinc, b-vitamins and lactic acid. This will tighten pores on the skin and reduce large ones.
- Potato mask helps to heal inflamed acne. You can mix the potato juice with cucumber juice and this will cool down inflamed skin and even out the skin tone. It also acts as a moisturizer.
- Potato mask helps to gently even out the skin tone.
You should get yourself some potato and try it out on your skin for great results.