As we advance in age, our skin usually begins to wear out. Its natural elasticity fades gradually, this is inevitable but could be reversed or at least reduced. People try to remedy the process by covering up with make up or opting for cosmetic surgeries. These surgeries have side effects. Home remedies are usually a safer bet as they have little or no side effects. What’s more? They are cheaper and easier to use. The best part about natural home remedies is that they do more than just reverse or reduce skin sagging, they combat free radicals and prevent their impact on skin cells.
What Causes Saggy Skin?
The skin is exposed everyday to changes, diseases, disorders and what-nots, saggy skin is one of them. The skin does not sag for just one reason, there are different factors that could cause the skin to droop and become unpleasant to look at.
• Aging: This is the most common cause of saggy skin. With the aging of the skin comes the natural loss of collagen and elastin. It is the development of collagen that makes the skin supple and youthful. So when its production begins to deplete, the connective tissues get weaker resulting in the tired, drooping appearance of the skin
• Sun Exposure: The sun has always had an effect on the skin, both positively and negatively, in this case negatively. Excessive exposure to sunlight exposes the skin cells to harmful ultra violet rays which break down elastin and collagen over time. These exposures lead to skin cancer, brown spots and wrinkling. Sun bathing, long strolls, outdoor activities are examples of ways the skin could be exposed to excessive sunlight
• Smoking : Smoking exposes the skin and the internal organs to harsh chemicals along with the smoke. These cause skin dryness and leads to skin sagging.
• Dehydration : Not drinking a lot of water provides less for the skin to recover from damage with. It is best to always drink lots of water daily to enable quick and continued production of collagen.
• Pregnancy and Weight loss could cause the skin to sag too.
Ways To Tighten Skin
Coconut oil is one of the most diverse natural oils and is useful in rejuvenating skin cells. It helps the skin stay nourished and hydrated. It also contains antioxidants which fight against free radicals and their damaging effects on your skin, thereby reducing the aging process.
What you’ll need
• Coconut oil (Virgin)
• Apply coconut oil onto the affected skin area and massage in circular motions upward.
• Do this for about ten minutes.
• Let the oil stay overnight.
• Do this before bedtime every night.
Take More Water
Water is generally known to improve your health. It also keeps the skin hydrated and as a consequence, brighter, smoother and tighter. The elasticity of your skin is also set to improve with enough water. Drinking at least six glasses of water daily is ideal and it’s even better if you drink more.
Aloe Vera is another extremely popular natural remedy to a lot of conditions. It’s especially known for its skin care benefits because of how effective it is. Even though there is the over the counter option, going for the natural gel is a lot more advisable. You could even plant your own aloe vera if you wanted to. The plant possesses malic acid which is responsible for its ability to fight against skin sagging. With this, the elasticity of the skin is improved, the skin is moisturized and collagen production is boosted. Aloe Vera’s gel is rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant which protects the cells from abnormal growth or damage. The antioxidant also supports and boosts the immune system. You can apply the gel alone onto your face and leave for twenty minutes before washing off, or you could have it mixed with lemon and honey which lets you reap all the vitamin C and vitamin E benefits.
Olive oil is loved all over the world for its moisturizing and glowing effects. It is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that help tighten the skin and protect it from photodamage.
What you’ll need
• Olive oil (Virgin)
• Make sure your skin is clean, take a bath if you need to.
• Pat dry your skin
• Massage the olive oil on every part of your body for a few minutes
• Let it stay over night before washing off
• Do this every day
Everyone knows coffee as a popular go-to beverage to start your day with. What everyone probably does not know is that it is also a go-to skin tightening tool. It could help reverse or reduce aging signs. Coffee is rich in antioxidants which fight free radicals and protects the skin from damage. Using it as a scrub could work well in exfoliating the dead skin cells, strengthening the skin and smoothing it now.
What you’ll need
• A quarter cup of sugar (brown)
• A quarter cup of coffee
• Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
• Two tablespoons of coconut oil (heated to melt it)
• Mix all ingredients above in a clean bowl or plate.
• Apply with you fingers, massaging in circular motions over your skin, majorly your face, your neck and your chest
• Rinse it off with warm water after three minutes
• Do not repeat daily, once a week is just fine
Yoghurt Face Mask
Lactic acid shrinks pores which causes tighter and smoother skin. Yoghurt, majorly known as a wonderful diet can do wonders when applied onto the skin. Yoghurt is effective in skin tightening as a result of its lactic acid content which could reduce aging and wrinkling.
You could either apply it alone or create a face mask with lime juice and plain yoghurt. You could use twice a week.
Egg white is probably the most popular skin tightening tool around the world. Its rich protein content works wonders in improving the skin’s elasticity. It also helps in cell rejuvenation, leading to a glow of the skin, along with honey, it is one of the most effective ways to keep the skin looking youthful. Twice a month is ideal enough for tighter skin.
What you need
• One egg white
• Two tablespoons of honey
• Mix the egg white with honey.
• Apply on the face and let it sit for fifteen minutes.
• Rinse the face afterward