It’s not news that the natural African American hair can be quite difficult to tame. Some of us have a hard time combing and styling. The ones who do comb and style do not stop wincing at every turn. More than half these ladies always seek an easy way out, softer hair, easier hair . In the end, they go for a perm and find other hair care products to help condition the hair. But these chemicals do more harm than good to the hair as they are usually harsh and damaging to the scalp. Some resort to heat treatments that eventually leave the hair dry and brittle.
We all want soft, shiny hair, and why not? – It’s much easier to navigate through. It’s easier to comb too. But do we really have to put our hair through so much to get it to obey us? I think not. That’s why we have put this material together to show you that there are healthier and safe ways to soften your hair and guess what? They are all right there in your kitchen cabinet! This means that they’re also really cost effective. Don’t make a face if you see stuff like eggs and fruits as materials for hair softening, just go with the flow!
Ways To Soften The Hair Without Perming
Hot Oil Treatment
Natural oils are one of your best bets when it comes to softening the hair. They’re especially for frizzy, dry, rough, brittle and crisp hair, to repair them, strengthen them and soften them. Hair is usually stiff when it lacks moisture, the oils provide the moisture that the hair strands and its roots need. Examples of these natural oils include coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, castor oil etc. You could use them all at once or have just one used. Massaging coconut oil into your hair and scalp every week for example will produce an amazing effect overtime. To get a hot oil treatment, heat 2-4 tbspns of oil in a saucepan. Make sure the heat used is low, keep heating until the oil is lukewarm. You could heat together with an essential oil like lavender, rosemary, chamomile, sage or carrot oil to improve the effectiveness of the treatment. After heating, massage the oil into your hair down to the roots and cover with a hot towel. This is done to open up your pores and encourage the absorption of the oil. Leave it on for 20 minutes or even overnight before washing off.
We learned from Curly Nikki that henna has hair softening and lustre properties that put your curls and hair styles in a good shape. To use a henna :
• Get your ingredients together. You’ll need about 200g of henna, some honey and four tea bags (preferably green tea). You’ll also need a bowl, spoon, plastic cap and gloves. You might be needing a newspaper, so you don’t end up messing the whole place up.
• Heat two cups of water next. When the water is close to boiling, take it down and pour out into the jug.
• Steep the tea bags in the bowl of hot water and let it stay for a while before taking out the tea bags.
• Put the henna powder when tea is almost cooking into an empty bowl and pour the tea out into the bowl of henna slowly until the mixture is consistent
• Add two tablespoons of honey to the bowl and continue mixing till you get a perfect paste.
• Wash and condition your hair the way you usually would and detangle with your hands.
• After washing, wring out the water so the hair isn’t too wet, but just damp enough.
• Have your hair parted into two or three sections and apply the paste onto your hair, covering all nooks and crannies without manipulating excessively.
• Cover the hair in a plastic bag and leave to sit for a while, about thirty minutes. You could also leave the mask on overnight.
• When you’re ready to wash off the mask, soak your hair in warm water and work the mixture out of your hair.
• Then wash off and condition, before completely and finally rinsing off.
• Dry your hair and style it afterwards. The results are pretty sweet!
The benefits of mayonnaise for the hair are intriguing. Its high level of fat makes it the perfect moisturizer for your dry hair. There are a lot of DIY mayonnaise masks that you can try out. Simply apply onto the hair, leave it for sometime before washing off.
Honey’s natural humectant properties make it ideal for hair care. It not only moisturizes the hair, it causes the hair to retain the moisture. It also prevents hair breakage and protects from dryness while causing it to shine naturally.
Using honey (preferably organic) will cause your hair to soften naturally and improve your hair’s health. You could use with olive oil, pure water, avocado, coconut oil, eggs etc. There are various ways to use the abilities of honey. Below are a few of them :
• Mix two tbspns of organic honey with three tbspns of olive and mask the hair with it
• Leave for thirty minutes and then wash off
• Pour two tablespoons of honey in water
• Rinse your hair with the mixture and allow it on your hair for fifteen minutes
• Then wash off with lukewarm water
• Mix half a cup of honey with mashed avocado, coconut oil and egg yolk in appropriate quantities.
• Apply onto your hair (hair should be damp) and allow to sit for 30 minutes before washing
You could also add honey to your shampoo before using.
How we love aloe vera! It’s diversity and multiple functions are oustanding. It possesses the ability to moisturize the hair, there by softening it and making it shine. Its antibacterial property also prevents alopecia and dandruff.
To use :
• Get the aloe vera gel from the plant. Scrape as much as you can
• Mix the gel in a tablespoon of coconut oil and add a little yoghurt to the mixture.
• Apply onto your hair and let it for thirty minutes before washing off
Avocados possess wonderful benefits for the skin, health and the hair. Its nutrients help keep the hair nourished, hydrated and very soft. These include : vitamins, protein, amino acids, fatty acids etc. The fruit works wonders on dry, broken and damaged hair.
To use :
• Mash one ripe avocado and add a teaspoonful of honey or olive oil (you could add both).
• Apply all over the hair and leave for thirty minutes before washing off.
Beer?? Yes! Beer happens to be one of the world’s most consumed drinks. Everybody loves a good beer, but everybody probably didn’t know its wonders for the hair. It’s rich in silica, minerals and effective in boosting hair volume by the absorption of natural hair oil. It also causes the hair texture to become silkier. Simply rinse your hair with some beer after washing it. Work it into every part of your hair including your scalp and cover with a plastic bag. After ten minutes, wash with water and air dry, you’d definitely be awed!
If you, like a lot of others, are tired of having to perm or treat your hair with heat just to get it tamed, then this article should come as a relief to you. They’re easy to use, cost effective and very safe. You have nothing to lose!