Eczema is a skin condition that causes the skin to get inflamed. It is not known what exactly causes this condition but it is often triggered by pathogens, allergies, excessive stress, irritants, hormonal changes and changes in weather.
Symptoms of Eczema
• Patches on the skin
Eczema often leaves scars that are unsightly and may take a lot of time to disappear.
You may have gotten a few medicines or lotions to help get rid of the ugly scars that won’t let you rock your favourite outfits. However, what if we told you that you could use natural and common remedies to get rid of these scars?
These treatments will not just get rid of the scars, they will also relieve the itching and the pain that may come with eczema.
Natural Remedies for Eczema Scars
Taking fish oil can help heal scars left behind by eczema. Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids that heal inflammatory symptoms associated with eczema.
Simply take 1200 mg of fish oil thrice a day to get rid of the eczema scars. You could also include fatty fish such as mackerel, tuna, salmon in your diet.
Also remember that these scars won’t vanish in a few seconds. You will have to be patient enough and follow through with the instructions consistently if you’re going to notice any difference.
Cocoa butter is said to be regarded as a restorative salve for skin that helps lighten dark scars. Simply apply a little on the scars consistently everyday and soon you’ll get to see that they’re getting much lighter.
For even better results, use cocoa butter not lotions that contain cocoa butter.
As an alternative, shea butter can easily replace cocoa butter where cocoa butter is not readily available. It contains vitamins A and E as well as keratin which helps rejuvenate the skin and fade scars.
Lemon juice has an acidic nature that makes it antiseptic and lightens old eczema scars. The vitamin C contained in the lemon juice also helps the body produce new skin cells and brightens the skin tone.
Simply apply fresh lemon juice onto the affected area at least two times everyday and leave for ten minutes.
As an alternative, you can exfoliate the skin using a mixture of sugar and lemon juice. Do this a few times a week before bed.
Olive oil possesses anti-inflammatory effects that can help relieve eczema symptoms. Plus, it can soften the skin, fade scars and reduce redness.
To use :
• Massage the affected area using olive oil (extra-virgin).
• Place a hot washcloth over the area, letting it stay until the cloth cools off. Then wipe off the excess oil with lukewarm water.
• Repeat this twice everyday.
Coconut oil can also serve this purpose. You could therefore use this in the absence of olive oil
Honey has been used to treat a myriad of skin problems. Eczema is just another skin problem that honey is able to handle. It has antibacterial, antiseptic and soothing properties that help to get rid of eczema and its scars.
Applying honey directly onto the affected area after washing thoroughly will give you the results you need. You could also make a scrub using honey and crystallised sugar. Scrub the affected area with it gently for a few minutes and then rinse off.
Do this a few times a week till the scars fades.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has astringent properties. It also possesses antibacterial and antifungal properties that help reduce eczema as well as the scars that follow. To use :
• Mix two teaspoons of each raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of water. Drink this thrice daily as it will help boost your immune system and thus, help to gradually reduce skin inflammation and scarring.
• You could also topically apply apple cider vinegar directly on your skin, my diluting it a bit in water. This will help reduce the itchiness and dryness.
Indian lilac or neem works as one of the best natural home remedies for eczema as it helps reduce redness, irritation, and inflammation.
To use :
• Mix one tablespoon each of crushed neem leaves and turmeric.
• Add a little sesame oil to the mixture.
• Apply it on the affected area and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
• Follow this remedy once daily.
An oatmeal bath has a soothing effect on the skin that will help relieve itching. Oatmeal also contains natural cleaning agents that reduce scars.
To use :
• Grind one or two cups of oatmeal in a blender or coffee grinder and add it to warm bath water.
• Soak your body in the oatmeal bath for about twenty to thirty minutes. Pat dry using a clean, soft towel.
• Repeat thrice a day, depending on how severe your condition is.
Aloe vera is a popular natural remedy for eczema scars. It possesses antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce irritation caused by eczema and gradually work to lighten the dark scars.
To use :
• Apply the aloe gel topically on the affected area. Do so a few times everyday till you’re satisfied with the results.
• As an alternative, you can mix equal parts of pure aloe gel and vitamin E oil. You’ll get a thin paste. Apply the paste to the affected area, let it stay overnight before washing off the next morning.
• Do this everyday.
Baking Soda could be used to slough off dead skin cells from your skin surface without causing itchiness. As a matter of fact, it helps reduce itching.
To use :
• Mix two tablespoons of baking soda with a tablespoon of water to make a paste.
• Apply it onto the affected area and after a few minutes, rinse off with lukewarm water.