If you are not happy about dark underarm then you are not alone, I was upset about mine also until few months. I tried some natural remedies and all dark patches are gone. Dark underarm can be so annoying because it limits one from wearing clothes that exposes the arm. Well, darkening of the armpit does not occur once, it a gradual process and it might occur due to some factors like exposing the skin to sunlight, shave, deodorant and it might be due to health issues for some people etc. The good news about having dark underarm is that it can actually be lightened in a short time.
I suffered from dark underarm and it was so embarrassing, I had to stop putting on sleeveless top and even when I do put on one am always trying not to open my arms at all time and it was was stressful until a friend of mine told me about some natural ways in which I could lighten it and I tried it and made some researches also and my underarm is now same color as my skin.
Dark underarm can be caused by the following;
- Shaving- Constant shaving of armpit hair darkens the skin. If your hair is slightly darker than your skin, it gives the appearance that your underarm is dark. So instead of shaving try waxing.
- Exposure of the skin to sunlight for a long period of time can cause dark patches in areas not wanted. There is a cell called ‘melanocytes’, this cell helps to protect the skin from the UV light and it is said that this cell produces melanin when exposed to sunlight for a long period of time and melanin is a dark colored pigment, so when this happens, it leaves the skin dark. This is one of the causes of dark patches in areas we don’t want them so we should try to avoid too much exposure to sunlight, if you know you can’t avoid it then it is best you wear protective clothing.
- Build up of dead cells around that area.
- Deodorant- Some ingredients use in making some of these deodorant say the fragrance or some other ingredient may react with the skin and when this happens it causes color discoloration in that area.
- Hyper-pigmentation- Hyper-pigmentation is excessive darkening of the skin, it a condition that causes the skin to produce more melanin. Hyper-pigmentation is a symptom of a disease called the ‘Addison disease’.
Now that you know what causes dark underarm, we would look at some natural ways to help lighten dark underarm. I used the following in getting rid of dark underarm:
Lemon is the number one ingredient for lightening dark underarm. It works as bleach and it is use not just for lightening dark underarm but other areas of the skin you don’t want dark patches. Apply lemon juice on your underarm daily and wash off after 15 minutes then apply a moisturizer because lemon leaves the skin dry, within 2 weeks you would see a very huge change, the lemon juice also helps in getting rid of smells under the arm not just in lightening the arm.
Aside from the fact that it is a good source of food, it can also be use in lightening dark underarm and it does not cause skin irritation unlike some other bleaching agent. You can apply a slice of the potato on the underarm or grate the potato and try to obtain the juice then apply the juice on the underarm, leave for some minutes and the wash off with water.
- Baking soda
This is a very good natural exfoliating agent. It helps in removing dead cells on the underarm which is one of the causes of dark underarm. Mix baking soda with water to form a paste and use it to scrub the underarm and leave for some minutes. Afterwards, wash off with water.
Cucumber is known to lighten dark areas in the body. Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on your underarm or grate the cucumber and mix with turmeric powder then apply to affected areas. Leave for 30 minutes and wash off.
- Orange peel
Orange peels have lightening and exfoliating properties. The peels of orange can be use to lighten dark underarm and even dark spots on the face. Get some orange peels and sundry for some days then grind into powders. Afterwards mix with either rose water or milk and apply to affected areas, leave for 20 minutes and wash off with cold water.
Milk helps in getting rid of dark underarm and it also softens the skin. Mix milk and yoghurt together and apply on underarm. Leave for 15 minutes and wash off. Another option is milk and honey mixed together.
If you faithfully follow these remedies and you are patient about it within weeks you would see result. I tried it and it worked for me and I even use some of it to lighten other areas that seems dark not just the underarm.