Your smile is often one of the first thing that is noticed when people meet you. When a set of sparkling teeth is met, people automatically rate you as attractive and healthy. Discoloured teeth could ruin a person’s image of you or even your self-confidence. People who have stained teeth often feel too conscious and may find it difficult to even smile and laugh comfortably.
The teeth tend to get discoloured as you get older. Several factors could lead to a stained teeth.
What Causes Yellow Teeth?
• Thinning tooth enamel due to aging
• Hereditary factors
• Dry mouth
• Breathing through the mouth (due to blocked nasal passages )
• Excessive fluoride intake
• Poor dental hygiene
• Excessive consumption of beverages like wine, tea, soda, and coffee
• Certain food items
• Certain diseases
• Tobacco and cigarettes
• Trauma or accidents that impact the teeth
• High doses of antibiotics
• Climatic conditions
• Improper metabolism
• Preventing Yellow Teeth
Here are a few ways to prevent your pearly-white teeth from turning yellow:
• Make sure to brush your teeth twice a day. This is the most important way to maintain proper dental hygiene.
• Floss once a day to get rid of plaque from areas where your toothbrush can’t reach
• Use an antibacterial mouthwash
• After eating or taking caffeinated beverages, rinse your mouth to remove leftover particles or residues that may remain in your teeth. This will help prevent stains and decay.
• Don’t take so much tea, coffee and other beverages as it could lead to stain.
• Check with your dentist for dental cleaning every six months.
• Avoid chewing tobacco or smoking.
Natural Treatment Options for Yellow Teeth
The good news is that there are lots of effective and side effect free methods to get rid of yellow teeth. Simply look through one of these and decide which is most comfortable for you. We all want you to light up our world with your beautiful smile once again.
Here are some ways to whiten your teeth naturally.
1. Brush Your Teeth with Baking Soda
Baking soda has natural whitening properties. You will find this ingredient in a lot of commercial toothpastes.
Since baking soda is mildly abrasive, it will easily help you scrub off stains and plaques that may have accumulated on the teeth. It is as a result of plaque buildup that several oral health issues stem from.
Infact, according to a review, it was found that toothpastes that contained baking soda got rid of plaques more effectively than toothpastes that did not have baking soda.
Baking soda also removes plaque by neutralizing acids produced by bacteria responsible for plaques.
To use :
• Brush your teeth with a mixture of baking soda and toothpaste and afterwards rinse with warm water. Do this for a week or two.
• You can also mix one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of water. Use the paste to brush your teeth a few times a week.
Note that using baking soda excessively can strip your teeth of its natural protective enamel. Don’t use it for more than a few weeks.
2. Mouthwash with Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
Hydrogen peroxide has been known to be effective in whitening the teeth for decades.
It’s a natural bleaching agent and has antibacterial properties that help get rid of bacteria in your mouth, thus preventing bad breath.
According to a study published, commercial toothpastes with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda used twice a day would lead to a sixty two percent whiter teeth in six weeks.
Another study says that the efficacy of hydrogen peroxide mouthwash in getting rid of plaques and stains was amazing.
To use :
• Mix a teaspoon of three percent hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of water. Use the solution as a mouthwash twice daily.
• You can also combine two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of baking soda. Brush your teeth gently with the mixture a few times a week for about three weeks.
Note that excessive use of hydrogen peroxide can erode your enamel. Don’t use more than recommended.
3. Try Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has a myriad of uses, all of which it is effective in. In oil pulling, coconut oil is used to maintain oral health and whiten your teeth.
It Has a high lauric acid content which is useful in reduce inflammation and getting rid of the bacteria present in the mouth. The bacteria could lead to the formation of plaques and likely cause other oral issues that may lead to stains on your teeth.
A study states that using coconut oil for oil pulling may be effective in reducing plaque formation and plaque-induced gingivitis.
Another 2016 study says that edible oil pulling therapy is safe, natural and has zero side effects.
To use :
• Put a tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil in your mouth and swish around for at least twenty minutes.
• Try not to gargle
• Spit out the solution and rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
• Brush your teeth normally afterwards.
• Do this once a day before eating breakfast.
4. Reap the Benefits of Holy Basil
The leaves of holy basil have whitening properties and can help protect your teeth from issues like periodontitis.
A study published in 2014 found that the Holy basil mouthwash works effectively against plaques and the bacteria responsible for forming plaques.
To use, place a few leaves in the sun for a few hours. Then Grind the leaves until they are in powdered form.
Mix the powder with your toothpaste and use to brush your teeth.
Alternatively, you can make a paste of holy basil leaves and mustard oil and then use it to clean your teeth.
5. Orange Peel can be Beneficial
This is one of the most popular natural remedies to whiten yellow teeth. The acidic property of orange peel makes it a powerful bleaching agent. This helps reduce the yellow tinge on your teeth.
Moreover, orange peel contains limonene, which makes it highly effective in removing teeth staining, especially stains caused by smoking.