It is normal that you don’t exactly understand what it means when the doctor says you have a high blood pressure. That’s because no symptoms may even be seen.However, high blood pressure, no matter how invisible it may seem at first, is a serious health risk. It is often associated to conditions that could take your life line stroke, heart attacks, cognitive decline, kidney failure and aneurysms.
Plus, over a thousand deaths are caused by high blood pressure in the country.
It’s even scarier because it’s possible to not know you have this. It’s therefore important that you check yours if you have never done so, or if you haven’t done so in a long time. If your figures are above 130/180 mmHg, then you have a high blood pressure.
What Causes High Blood Pressure Anyway?
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, has no real cause. However, certain risk factors can lead to a hypertension. These include :
• Cigarette smoking
• Binge drinking
• Family history and genetics
• High intake of salt
• A deficiency of vitamin D
• High stress levels
• Sleep apnea
• Hypo and hyperthyroidism
• Kidney disease
Signs and Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
Hypertension is often referred to as a silent killer because you will hardly see any warning signs or symptoms and it could eventually kill you.
A few people with high blood pressure may experience :
• Shortness of breath
• Nose bleeding
• Heaviness in the head
• Visual changes
These signs and symptoms of high blood pressure are, however, not specific and happen only when the blood pressure is so high that it is life-threatening
Ways to reduce high blood pressure
Honey has a calming effect on blood vessels while reducing the pressure from the heart. This characteristic is what makes it useful in reducing high blood pressure.
To use :
• Simply consume two teaspoons of honey every morning before breakfast
• You can also mix two teaspoons of cumin seed powder and one teaspoon of ginger juice with honey and eat two times a day.
• You can also mix basil juice and honey in equal amounts and take on an empty stomach every day.
Onions have been found to possess an antioxidant flavonoid known as quercetin. This is effective in the lowering of blood pressure.
To use :
• All you have to do is eat one medium-sized raw onion daily. It will obviously be difficult for some but you want to live, surely, right?
• You can mix half a teaspoon of onion juice and honey and take twice a day in two weeks.
Hydration is key for people with high blood pressure. An ideal amount is taking about ten glasses of water. If you cannot do this with just plain water, you can try coconut water as it is particularly effective in lowering systolic blood pressure.
According to a study carried out in 2005, coconut water is rich in potassium, vitamin C and magnesium. Plus, along with the water, you can use the oil to cook as well.
Banana helps control high blood pressure. Its high potassium content helps cancel out or reduce the effect of high sodium in the body.
So eat at least one banana daily. You can also eat other stuff along with bananas, like apricots (dried), winter squash, sweet potatoes, orange juice, raisins, currants, spinach, cantaloupe and zucchini.
Lemons help to reduce rigidity from blood vessels and keeps them soft and pliable. In turn, it then lowers blood pressure.
Plus, they also help reduce your risk of a heart failure as a result of its vitamin C content. Since vitamin C is an antioxidant, it is effective in reducing the harmful effects of free radicals.
To use :
• Simply drink a cup of warm water containing juice from half of a lemon.
• Drink it on an empty stomach, with a little sugar or salt for the best results.
Watermelon seeds contain a compound known as cucurbocitrin. This compound is effective in widening blood capillaries. It also helps improve the functioning of your kidney which in turn helps reduce blood pressure while dealing with your arthritis. Such a multipurpose seed, right?
One oikoy study carried out in 2011 found that watermelon even helped lower blood pressure as a result of its vasodilatory effect.
To use :
• Add two teaspoons of gently crushed, dried watermelon seeds to one cup of boiled water
• Steep it for one hour and then strain.
• Keep taking at least four tablespoons at intervals all through the day, consistently.
According to several studies, garlic has lowering effects, cooked or raw. It thus helps control high blood pressure while also reducing cholesterol levels.
It also stimulates the production of nitric oxide and hydrogen sulphide, which helps relax blood vessels.
To use :
• Crush and eat two crushed garlic cloves everyday. You could simply crush them with your hands. When you do this, hydrogen sulphide is prodcyed which promoted good blood flow, gets rid of gas and reduces the blood pressure.
• If you cannot chew garlic, then take it along with a cup of milk.
• You could also take some garlic juice mixed with water two times a day.
Relax with music
Certain tunes will help to lower your blood pressure. This is according to an Italian research on 29 adults who had blood pressure problems and were taking medication.
These individuals were asked to listen to soothing Indian, celtic or classical music everyday for thirty minutes while breathing slowly. Six months after, it was found that their pressure had dropped by an average of 4 mmHg.
According to a study, it was found that adults suffering from high blood pressure, who sipped at least three cups of hibiscus tea everyday had reduced systolic BP by seven points in six weeks.
The phytochemicals in hibiscus are probably responsible for the large reduction in high blood pressure, the study authors say.
Have a glass of milk
Whether it’s soy milk or dairy milk, replacing some refined carbs with foods containing rich soy or milk protein will bring down systolic blood pressure if you have a high blood pressure.
Refined carbs sometimes lead to inflammation, which increases blood pressure. With the help of milk protein or soy, this can be greatly lowered.