We say a person has sore throat when the throat is itchy and irritated. Most times, you’ll feel like scratching, that’s when you hear lots of hilarious throat sounds. A sore throat usually worsens when swallowing happens, some folks will attempt to struggle through a meal while others skip meals altogether to avoid the pain. A sore throat can be really uncomfortable, having to deal with irritation and pain. But did you know that you get a sore throat usually as an immune response to bacterial or viral infections? It’s a natural immune response and will often lead to smelling and inflammation of the throat’s mucous membranes.
Luckily, several remedies asides pills exist, they’re cheap, simple and fast.
We have done our research and found five home remedies that could help relieve sore throat and other symptoms you might be experiencing. You might already know about taking hot drinks or gargling water mixed with salt and the likes. Still, we will treat them all. Then you could choose one you want to try.
What Causes Sore Throats?
There are a number of reasons why you could develop a sore throat. They are as follows :
• Allergies : it could be that the victim has encountered something he is allergic to, like pets, pollen, dust, molds etc.
• Muscle strain : This is the story of every singer’s life. Sore throats often result from straining the throat muscles. Other things that could strain the muscles of the throat are yelling, talking for a long period without a pause or yelling for long periods.
• Dryness : Dryness as a result of breathing in dry air could cause the throat to feel itchy and rough. This often happens when you’re up from sleep. It also happens when you’re breathing through your mouth for a long period, usually when you’re having difficulty breathing with your nose
• Tumours : a tumour in the throat could also cause the throat to be sore. You may also notice other symptoms like loud noisy breathing, blood in spittle, hoarseness, a lump in the throat, problems with swallowing.
• Irritants : When an environment is filled with all kinds of harmful chemicals and smoke, it could cause an irritation to the throat. It could be from alcohol, spicy foods, tobacco smoke, chemicals etc.
• Bacterial infection : infections caused by bacteria could cause sore throat. Streptococcus pyogenes is the most common. There is also the group A streptococcus.
• Viral infections : This is one of the most common cause of sore throats – viruses. It is usually same virus responsible for the Influenza and cold. Some of these infections include Influenza, common cold, chicken pox, croup, measles, monocucleosis etc.
• An area of tissue that is infected could cause a sore throat, but this rarely happens.
• The swelling of the cartilage covering the trachea could cause a sore throat and even block the air ways making breathing difficult. This too is a rare case.
• GERD : This stands for Gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is a digestive disorder in which the acids of the stomach or other stomach content back up in the gullet. In this case, you’ll notice other symptoms like hoarseness, regurgitation, a lumpy feeling in the throat, heartburn
• HIV infection : when a person becomes infected with HIV, they may start to develop chronic sore throats as a result of other secondary infections and the inability of the immune system to properly function.
Home Remedies For Sore Throat
Apple cider vinegar
This has always been used as a natural remedy for hundreds of ailments. If you’re familiar with this site, you would know this. Apple Cider Vinegar contains acetic acid, which is antibacterial. It is as a result of this content that it is able to battle sore throat. Hippocrates, The Father of Western Medicine, in the treatment of sore throats and coughs often prescribed apple cider vinegar and honey together. The combination was called oxymel and was known to work efficiently. To use apple cider vinegar, mix a cup of warm water with a tablespoon of the vinegar and drink. You could add some honey if you would love to.
We all love honey, and what’s not to love about it? It’s taste makes us trip anytime. However, honey, apart from gracing our tongues for the fun of it could also be used to relieve the throat that is sore. It helps fight infections well and relieves the pain. It is even more effective when taken in warm water, herbs or apple cider vinegar. If you take no sugar, this remedy is not for you, there are a few others you could try out. Avoid giving this to a child that is below one year old too as it could lead to several complications. The child below one has not been able to acquire healthy bacteria and as such have no ability to combat germs like the botulism spores that could be found in honey.
A lot of people just frowned at the idea of using garlic to heal sore throat. The garlic however has a very powerful compound known as allicin. This compound is released when the garlic is crushed and possesses mindblowing antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Unfortunately, you’ll have a chew it. If you cannot chew it, you can try sucking on it for about twenty minutes. Neither is pleasant, but so is your sore throat. Here’s an easier way – you could blend with some other vegetable to make vegetable juice. It is most effective when it is eaten immediately after it is crushed. Still, don’t be so hard on yourself.
Lemon And Water
You have heard that lemon has antibacterial properties. This is as a result of its acidic content which makes it able to fight against bacteria and viruses. Apart from that, it is also able to shrink throat tissue that is swollen. Simply mix a teaspoon of the juice and a cup of water together and drink or gargle for ten to fifteen minutes.
In this case, herbal teas. There are lots of herbal teas to take to get relief from sore throat. Most of the herbal teas are antibacterial which makes it ideal against your sore throat. Some of the tea include green tea, clove tea. Both have anti-inflammatory properties too which means it is able to relieve the painful and uncomfortable feeling. Other great choices include chamomile tea, peppermint tea and raspberry. You should opt for chamomile tea if your voice is already suffering from having your throat sore. The tea acts as a natural lubricant. Peppermint could get the throat numb, causing you to feel no pain. Check for the caffeine content before going for any tea, it’s important that you stay away from tea containing caffeine as you also will be trying to get rest and sleep.