It’s not a problem to have dark elbows and knees. Some people, however, are uncomfortable having these and it affects their confidence. Some could be overly conscious while others would not wear sleeveless or short dresses. We understand, it can be exhausting having to rethink your wardrobe choices because of a part of your body. So we’re offering a different option for you – get rid of them.
Dark elbows and knees usually occur as a result of the accumulation of dead skin cells and extra melanin usually from exposure to sunlight.
We have come up with a few solutions that will help your skin look better.
What Causes Your Elbows And Knees To Become Dark?
Dark elbows or knees happen as a result of accumulation of dead skin cells and melanin. This could occur as a result of the following factors :
• Drugs like birth control pills
• Pregnancy (could lead to melasma)
• Exposure to sub7, leading to hyperpigmentation
• Skin problems (eczema, psoriasis, etc.)
• Inflammation or bruises
• Age spots
All these factors could lead to dark patches on the elbow and the knees. People who have darkened skin are most susceptible to having darker elbows and knees .
Home Remedies For Dark Elbows and Knees
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda possesses lightening and exfoliating properties. This means it has the ability to get rid of the dead skin cells on the surface of the skin. When it does this, new and bright-looking skin becomes visible.
• Four teaspoons of baking soda
• Pour about four teaspoons of baking soda in a clean bowl
• To the powder, add a little water. You should know how much water would be required depending on the quantity.
• Mix both ingredients till you have a perfect paste
• Apply the paste on the dark part of your elbows or knees and gently scrub for a few minutes
• Let the paste sit for another twenty minutes and then wash off with cold water
• Repeat this procedure twice a week for maximum result
2. Lemon Juice with Honey and Sugar
These ingredients when mixed together make a great skin toning scrub. Honey and lemon juice have amazing skin-lightening characteristics, while sugar is already popularly known for exfoliation .
• A tablespoon of honey
• A tablespoon of sugar
• One lemon
• First, get the juice from the lemon into a bowl
• To the bowl, also add a tablespoon of sugar and honey
• Mix the ingredients well till you get a perfect consistency.
• After mixing, use as scrub on the dark areas. Take care and scrub gently.
• Let the mixture stay on the skin for about twenty minutes before finality washing off with water, preferably lukewarm.
• Repeat the procedure at least four times a week, alternating the on and off days.
Turmeric has been known widely for not just its seasoning, its skin lightening properties has been recognised too. It contains circumin, which inhibits melanin activity, thus reducing the darkening of the elbows and knees.
• Water or lemon juice
• Two teaspoons of turmeric powder
• To the turmeric powder, add a little lemon juice or water and mix well to get a paste
• Apply the paste to the affected area and allow to sit for twenty minutes.
• Wash off with lukewarm water
• Repeat this procedure four times a week, alternating the days you apply the paste and the days you don’t.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a well-known natural remedy. It’s been used to cure a lot of skin remedies. It contains aloin, a compound that is able to depigment the skin. With its properties, it’s sure to help get rid of your dark elbows and knees.
• Two tablespoons of Aloe vera gel. It should be freshly extracted.
• With a spoon, extract aloe vera gel from a healthy plant.
• Simply apply it to your elbows and knees
• Let the gel sit for thirty minutes.
• Wash it off with cool or lukewarm water
• Repeat this procedure once everyday or on alternate days.
5. Olive Oil And Sugar
Sugar is known to get rid of dead skin cells while olive oil has great moisturizing properties as a result of its emollient properties. When mixed together, these ingredients can help get rid of those dark elbows and knees
• One tablespoon of olive oil (should be cold pressed)
• One tablespoon of sugar (brown sugar preferably. If that’s not available, white sugar isn’t so bad either)
• Mix a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of cold pressed olive oil
• Apply the mixture to the affected area and gently massage for a while in circular motion.
• After massaging, leave the mixture for another thirty minutes before washing off
• Cleanse the area with a cleanser after washing and pat dry your skin with a clean and soft towel.
• Repeat this procedure at least thrice a week consistently.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has been used for ages for loads of problems. Hair, health and of course skin problems have not gone scott free with the natural oil. It’s an emollient that keeps the skin moisturized. One of the causes of dark elbows and knees is dryness and lack of moisture. While coconut oil treats dry skin, it helps prevent the skin from having dark areas.
• One or two tablespoons of coconut oil (virgin coconut oil)
• Take the spoon(s) of coconut oil and massage your elbows and knees gently
• Let it stay for about thirty minutes before washing off. You could go to bed with it too if you prefer to.
• Repeat this procedure everyday to get the best result.
Potatoes are known for its skin lightening properties. This property is as a result of catecholase, an enzyme that lightens the skin. It therefore has bleaching properties that will help lighten the dark areas
• Potato (half)
• Take the potato and cut into slices that are not too big but not too small.
• Rub the slices on your elbows and knees and allow the extract to sit for about thirty minutes before washing it off
• Repeat this procedure consistently everyday to get the best results