According to several studies, the chances of you or someone you know suffering from an allergy is high, whether these allergies are seasonal, food or any other kind. Some people who struggle with an allergy go to see a doctor so they can be treated or so they get their routine medications.
Fortunately, you don’t have to take medications to have your allergy symptoms under control. There are lots of natural allergy relief remedies that you can try first. Some of them include essential oils.
In this article, we’ll be showing you a number of home remedies for allergies which can help provide fast relief.
But first, what are some of the symptoms encountered by people who suffer from allergies?
Most Common Symptoms
There are several broad categories of allergies, which include:
• Seasonal allergies (also called rhinitis or hay fever), which worsens when there is an increase in pollen levels or a change in pollen levels, especially during the Fall or Spring.
• Perennial allergies, which occurs year-round
• Food allergies, such as shellfish allergies
• Drug/medication allergies
• Indoor allergies, such as to mold or dust
• Skin or eye allergies
• Pet/animal allergies, such as to dogs/cats, insects, etc.
• Anaphylaxis, which is a serious, life-threatening allergic reaction in response to a number of different allergens
Symptoms experienced by people who suffer allergies depend on the cause of the allergic reaction and could also vary depending on how severe the allergy is. A few symptoms include :
• Nausea and vomiting
• Skin rash, dryness, itchiness, peeling or hives
• Itchy nose, stuffiness or congestion
• Tingling or itchy sensations in the mouth or on the lips
• Abdominal or diarrhoeal cramps
• Swelling of the tongue, lip, throat or face
• Dizziness, light-headedness and loss of consciousness in severe cases.
• Wheezing, difficulty breathing, coughing, etc.
What Causes Allergies?
Allergies can be caused by a wide variety of things so it’s difficult to specifically pinpoint what exactly is the cause.
The most common causes, however, include :
• Pollen, from grasses, trees and plants
• Dust, including the ones found in your home
• Certain foods, especially the ones that are known to cause allergies, including tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, soy, gluten and dairy.
• Stings or insect bites
• Animal fur and dander
• Latex, like the ones used to make latex gloves or condoms (this must be depressing)
• Medications like antibiotics
8 Natural Allergy Relief Remedies
1. Eat an Anti-Inflammatory, Alkaline Diet
First, you should start eating an anti-inflammatory diet so as to reduce your risk for allergies and other health issues. Paying attention to your body with nutrient dense foods gives your immune system the ability to repair itself, bringing it into balance so that it is strong enough to battle common allergies in your environment. Below are foods and ingredients you can incorporate into your diet to help you beat allergies:
• Breast milk
• Bone broth
• Green leafy vegetables
• Probiotic rich foods
• Coconut milk
• Gluten-free grains and flours
• Almond butter and seeds
2. Local Raw Honey (Bee Pollen)
Honey tastes so good, you won’t have a problem having some to help control your seasonal allergies. A tablespoon of raw honey everyday will help your body to build a tolerance to the pollen that affects you.
In 2011, a group of scientists tested how pre-seasonal use of birch pollen honey had an effect on people who had birch pollen allergies. It was discovered that patients taking honey reported 60 percent reduction in the symptoms and seventy percent fewer days with severe symptoms. And they used 50 percent less antihistamines compared to the control group that took conventional meds.
We recommend you take a tablespoon of raw honey either with your tea, smoothies, oatmeal or along with cinnamon.
Raw honey contains bee pollen which helps ward off infections, allergies and boosts immunity. Honey also contains lots of enzymes that support overall function of your immune system.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
For a long time, Apple Cider Vinegar has been a go-to remedy for a lot of issues from hair to oral to skin, etc. Now, we’re saying it’s great for controlling allergy symptoms. Simply drink a glass of water mixed with the vinegar and maybe some fresh lemon juice. At the first sign of an allergy attack, put one teaspoon of ACV in your neti pot solution for a natural “sinus flush.”
4. Stinging Nettle
Stinging nettle has been used for the longest of times, in medieval Europe, where it was used to treat cases of fluid retention and joint pain.
Studies, infact, show that stinging nettle is effective in treating a variety of health issues, including :
• Hay fever
• Urinary problems like UTIs
• Benign prostatic hyperplasia
• Sprains, strains and joint pain
• Insect bites
Research says that the leaves of stinging nettle have the ability to control histamines. This is why more doctors are beginning to recommend taking a freeze-dried preparation before Hay fever season begins. It could also be used as a tea or in tincture form.
5. Eucalyptus Oil & Frankincense Oil
A study carried out on essential oils was used to consider the effect it had in killing the highly allergic house kites. It was found that eucalyptus oil ranked among some of the most effective.
Essential oils for allergies usually work by improving detoxification while reducing inflammation. It detoxifies of harmful bacteria, toxins, parasites, microorganisms and parasites that may trigger and attack.
Here are a few ways you can use eucalyptus oil for seasonal allergy relief :
• You can add a few drops of the oil into your neti pot, inhale through a diffuser or even use in your laundry detergent as an antimicrobial agent.
• For an echo-friendly, biodegradable addition to your natural detergents, add about twenty-five drops of the oil to each load of wash during allergy season, especially if your kids or even you are running around outside.
• If symptoms come on too strong, mix the oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil and rub on your chest, behind your ears and then diffuse the rest in the air during the day and while you’re sleeping.
Another powerful essential oil for managing allergies is frankincense oil, which has an unbelievable ability to prevent and get rid of cancer.
A study shows that the essential oil has powerful effects when it comes to boosting our immune system.
To implement it into your natural health regimen, simply rub frankincense behind your ears and on your chest several times per day, or diffuse frankincense essential oil in your home and office for about three hours daily.