Ladies always have to style hair and keep up with the gorgeous look expected of them. This can be harsh on the scalp and tresses with all the heat, relaxing, bleaching, dying and plaiting. The unhealthy chemicals can mess with our pH levels, cause dryness, make the hair break and fall off or generally cause your hair to appear dull and lifeless. The struggle is real.
Attempting to remedy the damages can cost a fortune, considering you would have to get hair care products. Unfortunately, sometimes, even these hair care products can make matters worse,with strange ingredients. So how about you go for something different for a change? Like natural ingredients. Mother Nature never fails.
We considered this option and decided you should know some of these DIY hair mask recipes as they’re way cheaper and have little or no side effects.
Why Should I Use a Hair Mask?
One of the fastest and easiest ways to get your hair looking and feeling healthy is with hair masks. They nourish, hydrate, protect, moisturize, soften, enhance growth, add lustre and even help to combat scalp infections. It is for these benefits that we sometimes visit hair salons that end up charging exorbitant fees. Making your own hair mask is not hard and can be done with virtually ingredients in your kitchen cabinet. In less than thirty minutes you could be looking at the hair treatment that changes your life! Not to mention, it’ll almost feel like visiting a spa.
DIY Hair Mask Ideas
Ewww, right? Well, unfortunately eggs are wonderful for the hair. They are rich in protein, fatty acids ,vitamins A, D and E. If you have excessively oily hair, egg white will solve the problem and reduce the excess oil. The egg white can also help to combat bacterial infections as a result of an enzyme it contains which gets rid of bacteria by “eating” them. The yolk on the other hand helps moisturize hair that is brittle and dry. Egg also leaves the hair shiny and healthy.
- All you have to do is apply the egg onto your hair.
- You could either choose to use the egg yolk or egg white.
- Make sure your hair is damp enough and clean.
- After application, cover your hair with a shower cap and let it sit for twenty minutes.
- You can then wash and shampoo
The concept of coconut oil for the hair is not a new one. Infact, the concept of coconut oil for the health, hair, skin and even cooking has been around for the longest of times. It is known to be one of the most versatile oils on the earth. Coconut oil is packed with vitamins, fatty acids and antioxidants. It also possesses antimicrobial characteristics. The oil is ideal for moisturization and is safer because it is void of those toxic chemicals you find in a lot of hair products. It’s been found that coconut oil can decrease loss of protein in the hair and it’s the only oil that is able to do this.
- Coconut oil is usually solid at room temperature. To use, heat up a quarter of coconut oil so that it melts.
- Apply to your hair. Make sure your hair is wet.
- Let it stay on the hair for one hour. Better still ,you could decide to go to bed with it as this will create room for a more effective conditioning. Just put a shower cap over it so your pillow doesn’t get affected.
- Rinse it off after an hour or when you’re up the next day and then proceed to wash and shampoo it .
Honey & Coconut Oil
We have already seen the magic of coconut oil – Its antimicrobial properties and its unique ability to reduce protein loss. Honey on the other hand is another extremely versatile substance. The benefits of honey have been studied for a long time and its effects on the skin, hair and health have been realized. The most well-known property is probably its hydration property as it is a natural humectant. It therefore is ideal for the hair, retaining moisture, softening the hair and causing it to shine. Imagine a coconut oil and honey combo on your hair. I bet even the fragrance would make you scream “Praise the Lord!”
- One tbspn of honey
- One tbspn of coconut oil
- Get your coconut oil and honey into one bowl and mix
- After mixing, transfer the mixture into a pot or a sauce pan and let it heat up until it melts
- Apply onto your hair thoroughly even to the roots Your hair should be slightly damp, for easy application.
- Cover the hair with a shower cap and leave for 20 minutes
Have you noticed how each of these ingredients are good for the skin and the health alongside the hair? Well, isn’t mother nature fascinating! Avocado possesses hydrating properties that keep the hair moisturized. It is especially ideal for dry, brittle hair. It also contains antioxidants, combats dandruff and adds shine to the hair. Another ingredient used in making this hair mask is banana which is especially ideal for people with thin hair. It contains potassium and vitamin C which helps to repair damaged hair and make hair stronger This is why it is ideal for thin hair The last ingredient in this hair mask recipe is olive oil. It is rich in Vitamins A & E and goes way down through the hair shaft. The vitamins strengthen the hair and cause it to shine.
- Get the avocado and banana mashed together in a small bowl. A fork is most ideal for the mashing.
- Pour the olive oil into the mixture slowly until everything is properly mixed.
- Apply mixture generously onto your hair. Make sure you apply onto the scalp too.
- Cover with a shower cap and let it work its magic for 20 mins.
- Rinse and then shampoo
Each of these masks will yield similar results. If you would love scented ones, then you could add any essential oil of your choice. Rose, Lavender, Almond or sunflower are good choices of essential oil.
Give us a feedback when you try out one of these.