Having problems with your hair? Your hair’s dry and brittle? Or your ends are splitting? Worry no more, there will always be a solution. Your hair could be protesting from the millions of hours it has had to be under a heat treatment. This is not a good thing for the hair as it could be beautiful now, but will damage your hair in the long run. Even dying, perming and bleaching all look good for a short time but have serious toxic effects on the hair. Unfortunately, when this happens we’re usually too quick to turn to more harmful methods of treatment like hair products with lots of strange chemicals. These chemicals drive the hair further into a state of unruliness by messing with the pH of the hair or further stripping the hair of its natural oils. Worse, they’re never cheap.
What if you could replace those expensive and harmful hair products with cheap but effective methods instead? That’s right, bananas, olive oil, coconut oil are the new cool.
DIY Hair Mask Ideas
The following hair mask ideas are better and safer than most of the hair products you keep going back to.
All you have to do is simply mix up a few ingredients, cover with a shower cap and sing your favourite song!
Avocado and Mayonnaise
Avocado and mayonnaise just made your mouth water. Unfortunately, when you’re having them mixed, it won’t be for a sandwich, it will be for your hair. Mayonnaise which contains eggs are known to be an effective hair moisturizer, plus eggs are a good source of protein. Avocado on the other hand vibrates with monounsaturated fats that soften and smoothens hair
• Get an avocado and mash well
• Mix in two tablespoons of mayonnaise and make sure the paste is even.
• Wet your hair and then apply the mixture making sure to massage it into every part of the hair.
• Leave go sit for about twenty minutes before rinsing off.
• Wash with shampoo as usual and then air dry.
Yoghurt, Honey and olive oil
This is a wonderful combo. Olive oil is rich in vitamins A, E and antioxidants. It seals hair moisture and helps to protect the hair keratin thus making the hair lustrous and a lot stronger. Yoghurt is a probiotic and a great ingredient for a hair mask. It’s especially ideal for damaged and brittle hair as it could render frizzy ends smooth. As a result of its probiotic nature, it could ease itchy hair too.
• Get a teaspoon of olive oil, a tablespoon of honey and a quarter cup of yoghurt mixed up together in a bowl.
• Apply generously onto your hair. The hair should be damp.
• Let the mask stay on your hair for about twenty minutes and then rinse off.
• You can wash your normally after that with shampoo.
Beer and Egg
Again, sadly when you’re unbottling your beer, it will be for your hair, not your tummy. Beer is surprisingly good for the hair. It is rich in yeast and contains a high amount of B complex vitamins like niacin, thiamin, riboflavin and Vitamin B6. These vitamins help to produce a cellular energy that contributes to the division of cells. Yeast contains biotin which you may have heard is excellent for the nails and the hair. Other minerals found in yeast include copper, zinc and selenium. All of these overwhelming content and then add a highly proteinous egg, you have an excellent hair mask.
• Mix half a cup of beer with one raw egg.
• You could add one teaspoon of oil to the mixture.
• Dampen your hair and make sure your hair is clean. Then apply the mixture onto your hair.
• Use a shower cap over the hair and leave it for fifteen minutes.
• Afterwards, you could wash off as usual.
Egg and Lemon
Eggs and lemon are a super weird combo but it’s worth the try right? Eggs are rich in proteins which rejuvenate the hair and keep it healthy. Other nutrients contained in the egg include vitamins A, D, E and fatty acids. The fatty acids help to improve the hair’s seen. Overall, the egg is an amazing ingredient for hair conditioning. Lemons on the other hand possesses an acidic nature that makes it antibacterial. This means that it clears the hair of dirt, dandruff and solves the itchy problem. It also absorbs excess oil in the scalp and is therefore ideal for oily scalp. The vitamin C in lemon strengthens the hair and keeps the hair cleared off from dust or any other external particles. Limonene, a compound contained in lemon brings dull and lifeless hair back to life.
• Crack one raw egg, you’ll be needing the egg white from the egg.
• Next, juice on half of the lemon and get it mixed together with the egg white until you have a perfect consistency
• Dampen your hair and then apply the hair mask
• Tie the hair up and cover it with a shower cap
• Then let it stay for about forty five minutes before rinsing and shampooing.
Brown Sugar and Olive Oil
The exfoliating property of sugar isn’t limited to the skin, it extends to the hair. Brown sugar helps exfoliate dead skin cells from the scalp
Olive oil has always been used to condition the hair naturally. It takes care of dry hair and makes it shiny and soft. It also prevents hair breakage and split ends. Olive oil’s antibacterial properties are useful for dandruff. It will easily help remedy the issue. These ingredients together will bring out the best in your hair and make you wonders what you did right!
All you need are two tablespoons of sugar and a tablespoon of olive oil
• Pour a tablespoon of oil in a bowl and add two tablespoons of brown sugar to it.
• Mix it together
• Apply generously and thoroughly on your hair for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
• Rinse off
As you’ve clearly seen, you actually do not have to go spending so much on hair products when you could have fun trying out new hair masks. All the fun is in your kitchen. Literally!