A lot of people chase beauty. Most of the time, in a bid to appear more beautiful, we purchase beauty products. Sometimes though, these products contain chemicals that may be harmful to the skin.
Therefore, more and more people are resorting to the use of natural products for their skin and hair.
Several herbs have been used for thousands of years for beauty purposes, one of such herbs is the chamomile herb.
Chamomile is well-known for its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, calming and anti-irritant properties.
According to a 2009 study, chamomile has been added to lots of cosmetic products including cleansers, colour-enhancing products and soothing moisturizers.
Another study published in 2010, says that chamomile essential oil is used extensively in aromatherapy and cosmetics.
There are lots of different chamomile preparations available. One of the most popular is herbal tea. As a matter of fact, over a million cups of chamomile tea is consumed all over the world.
The tea is also available in tinctures, ointments, liquid extracts, essential oil and creams.
Note: Chamomile oil should not be used when you’re pregnant or if you’re allergic to any member of the aster family including chrysanthemum and daisies.
Below are a few ways chamomile can be used for beauty purposes :
1. Cures Acne
Chamomile is a natural and cost-effective way to deal with your acne and acne scars. Since chamomile is rich in antioxidants, they help combat acne breakouts and acne related scars.
If you’re going to use it daily :
• Start by brewing one cup of chamomile tea.
• Soak a clean washcloth in the tea and wring it out a bit.
• Using a mild facial cleansing soap, wash your face to get it clean.
• Next, place the chamomile soaked washcloth over your face.
• Let the cloth sit on your skin for fifteen minutes.
• Take the cloth off and using lukewarm water, rinse your face thoroughly
• Use a clean and soft towel to pat dry your face.
• Repeat this twice daily.
If you’re going to use it weekly :
• Pour hot water in a cup using one tablespoon of dried chamomile flowers
• Leave it to stand for about twenty minutes so that it infuses.
• Mix a tablespoon of honey, one egg white and a teaspoon of lemon juice
• Apply the mask all over your face
• Let the facial mask sit for twenty minutes before washing it off with cool water.
• Do this once every week.
2. Lightens the Complexion of the Skin
Chamomile tea acts as a natural skin bleach that will help lighten your complexion, make it brighter and cause it to have a healthy glow. youthful.
To use :
• Boil two cups of water and add two tablespoons of chamomile flowers into it after it boils
• Let it simmer for five minutes, then strain the liquid.
• Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of honey to the liquid.
• You can now apply the mixture on your face and neck area.
• Let it sit on your face for fifteen minutes
• Rinse it off thoroughly with fresh water
• Do this once everyday.
3. Fights Skin Aging
Chamomile has a high antioxidant content. It is no surprise therefore that it is able to combat the signs of aging. Aging, especially early aging comes from a damage in skin cells as a result of free radicals present.
Chamomile also helps quicken tissue and cell regeneration, helps tighten pores and reverses or slows down the aging process.
To use :
• Bring a cup of water to boil
• Next, steep chamomile tea in it and let it cool
• After cooling, soak a cotton ball in the tea and rub on your skin, paying attention to areas that are already affected too.
• Let it sit for ten minutes, then using cool water, rinse it off
• Repeat this process everyday to enjoy glowing and healthy skin.
If you’re going to use chamomile periodically, not daily, then you can use the tea to steam your face so that it opens up your pores and gets rid of impurities.
4. Exfoliates Skin
Chamomile tea has a grainy texture that works well in exfoliating the skin. It acts as a skin scrub and gets rid of dry and dead skin cells on the surface of the skin, soothing the skin and causing it to have a healthy lustre.
To use :
• Start by emptying two teabags in a clean bowl
• You can add a little sugar and olive oil to get a better scrub
• Apply the scrub on your face gently and massage with your fingers in circular motion.
• Rinse your skin with cold water and using a clean and soft towel, pat dry your face
• Repeat this once every week.
5. Reduces Dark Circles
Chamomile has a relaxing nature that helps to lighten dark circles. It also has an anti-inflammatory property that helps to reduce eye puffiness and swellings.
To use :
• Start by steeping four tea bags in a cup of hot water
• Leave it for five minutes before removing the tea bags
• Put one of the soaked tea bags in the refrigerator and another on the kitchen counter.
• First, place the one from the kitchen counter on your eyelids for five minutes
• Then place the refrigerated one on your eyelids too and leave for another five minutes
• Repeat this as often as you like.
6. Treats Dandruff
Rinsing your hair with chamomile tea helps fight dandruff. It also soothes scalp irritation and makes your dull-looking hair look shinier.
To use :
• Start by boiling three cups of water
• Next, dip five chamomile tea bags in it and allow it to sit until it cools completely
• Get rid of the tea bags
• Wash your hair and condition it usually
• Then, rinse the hair with the chamomile tea
• Allow the tea to dry up on the hair by air-drying
7. Heals Wounds & Minor Cuts
Chamomile has strong abilities to heal as a result of its antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. It is also a great disinfectant and can therefore be used in the cases of wounds or minor cuts.
It helps reduce redness and swelling around an injured area as a result of its anti-inflammatory properties.
To use :
• Soak three or four chamomile tea bags in warm water
• Get one out and press it over your wound
As an alternative, you can buy a natural ointment and chamomile tincture at a store and use on affected area.