What comes to your mind when you hear seaweed? I bet you think of a tangled clump of trash washed up on the shore of beaches, you even get disgusted by it. But what you don’t know is, that tangled clump of trash is actually a beauty secret. Asians discovered this goldmine centuries ago and have since then been consuming it. Little wonder they are among the healthiest people with the most flawless porcelain skin.
The purpose of this article is to enlighten you on some beauty benefits of sea weed. But before then, let us look at some of the nutrients that make seaweed very special for your skin, hair and general wellbeing.
Nutrients in Seaweed for Skin
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is a great vitamin for skin. It boosts collagen production which promotes skin elasticity and youthful skin.
- Potassium – Potassium is needed in the body for proper hydration of your skin and the body generally.
- Iron – Iron promotes circulation of blood throughout the body. It boosts hair growth and provides skin with abundant oxygen-rich blood which makes it healthy and supple.
- Niacin – Niacin fades facial scars. It brightens skin complexion.
- Choline – Choline helps reduce oily skin. It also soothes skin irritation and revitalizes mature skin.
10 Beauty Benefits of Seaweed Powder for Skin, Health and Hair
Seaweed is a very powerful detoxifying ingredient. It pulls out toxins from deep within the skin pores which helps with many skin ailments caused by toxin buildup including cellulite.
How to detox with seaweed
- In 3 cups of warm water, mix 1 cup of seaweed powder, ½ cup of Epsom salts, 1 cup bentonite clay, 2 tsp of dried powdered ginger.
- Apply the thick paste all over your body, wrapping thin cotton cloths reasonably tightly on top.
- Once that’s done, wrap cling film over the cotton cloths. Now lie down in flat clean area and place a wool blanket over your body.
- Be in that position for one hour. Then remove the wraps and take a hot and cold shower to open pores and stimulate circulation.
- You might want to measure yourself before and after the wrap to see how many inches you’ve lost!
Deeply Nourishes Skin
It is not surprising that seaweed nourishes the skin especially as it is packed with a lot of nutrients. It feeds the skin with its healing nutrient, hence making it healthy and beautiful.
How seaweed nourishes your skin
- In a small bowl, mix up 1 tsp of seaweed powder, 2 tsp of aloe vera gel and 2 drops of geranium oil
- Slather this on your clean face and let it penetrate for about 10 minutes.
- Then rinse off well with warm water first then cold water to close pores.
- Do this just once a week and not more because it is so potent.
Reduces Oily Skin
Seaweed helps regulate sebum production for your skin. This regulation helps reduce oil on your skin especially if you have an oily skin. it has a balancing effect on skin.
How seaweed reduces oil skin
- Make a seaweed scrub by combining seaweed powder with enough water.
- Scrub it on your face and rinse off with cool water.
Promotes Youthful Wrinkle-Free Skin
Do you wish for a flawless porcelain skin? Wish no more and use some seaweed on your face. Seaweed is rich in antioxidants that protect skin from free radicals and prevent premature wrinkles and fine lines.
- Mix up 1 tsp of seaweed powder in 1 tsp of raw honey then add 2 drops of lavender oil to it.
- Apply this gently all over your face.
- Wash off with tepid water after 5 minutes. Behold smooth and supple skin!
- Try this once a week.
Boosts Hair Growth
Seaweed is powerful for hair growth. It could also be used to treat baldness and strengthen your thinning hair. When you eat seaweed regularly, you gain nutritious minerals that do not only boost your hair growth, but also strengthens your existing hair. You can also try seaweed supplements in case you don’t want to cook it and eat. It is way easier this way.
With seaweed powder, your itchy dry eczema patches can be soothed and healed. Thanks to its nutritious benefits and moisturizing qualities. It also speeds up cell regeneration and heals your wounds a lot faster.
Unclogs Blocked Pores
If you are always breaking out in small pus-filled pimples, it could be as a result of your congested skin. What you need to do is, use a seaweed scrub to soak up those impurities from within your pores.
How to Unclog Pores Using a Seaweed Scrub
- In a small bowl, mix up 1 tsp seaweed powder, 1 tsp brown sugar and 2 tsp coconut oil.
- Gently scrub this onto your face in circular motions then rinse off with warm water.
- Splash your face with cold water to seal the pores.
- Also use these skin purifying seaweed facial mask sheets to unclog your pores and beautify skin!
By the many wonders proclaimed of seaweed, you should know that it also helps treat acne. Not only that, it reduces greasy skin and also drives out dirt, grime, excess oil and pollution
- Dump in 1 tsp of seaweed powder in a bowl. Add 1 tsp of raw honeyand 4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix well to form a paste then gently apply on your skin.
- Wait for 10 minutes then rinse off with warm water first then cold water. Pat your face dry.
- Do this mask twice a week.
Applying seaweed powder on skin as a nourishing mask rejuvenates and repairs it. The niacin content in seaweed can help with brightening the complexion and fading dark spots on skin.
How to rejuvenate your skin with seaweed
- In a small bowl, mix 1 egg white (separate the yolk) and ½ tsp olive oil. Add about 3 drops of lemon oil. Whisk well with a fork to combine.
- Brush this mixture on your face and neck then tear up these seaweed sheets, soften them under warm water and stick them on top of the egg white/olive oil mixture.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes then peel off the sheets and wash your face in warm water first then cold water.
- Marvel at your glowing skin!
Moisturizes Dry Skin
Seaweed absorbs moisture from your surroundings and locks it into the upper layer of your skin. This in turn keeps your skin looking supple and hydrated. To achieve this, you have to do a seaweed bath
How to run a seaweed bath