Cooking usually comes to mind first when we hear ‘olive oil’ . For the religious ones, it’s obvious what comes to mind when you hear ‘olive oil ‘. But have you ever thought about your hair when someone mentions ‘olive oil’? That’s right! The hair benefits a great deal from the goodies olive oil comes along with. They don’t call it “liquid gold” for nothing, huh? It improves the health, strength and shine of your hair effectively. Not many people, however, know about the hair benefits of olive oil as it is hardly considered. Your hair is better off with this essential oil than it is with those hair products that contain harsh chemicals that put our hair in danger in the long run.
The major ingredients in the olive oil include : oleic acid, squalene and palmitic acid – all of which are emollients, this means that they make the hair extra soft. As a matter of fact, many hair care products also contain these emollients, except that they are artificially produced .
Before diving right into these mouth-watering benefits, let’s have some fun!
Fun Facts About Olive Oil
- There isn’t just one kind of olive oil. Refined, lampante, pomace, virgin and extra virgin olive oil are variations of this essential oil.
- Olive oil and light aren’t the best of friends. Light degrades the vital compounds in olive oil by oxidation. This is why they are usually put in dark coloured bottles .
- If you can’t find your make up remover, olive oil saves the day. It can remove make up easily. Other things it removes easily are paint and chewing gum on the hair.
- The taste is always better when it is fresher!
- There is an olive tree that is over 1,600 years. It’s the oldest and still bears fruit.
- The world consumes an average of 2.25 million tons of olive oil annually. The Greeks have the highest consumption record.
- An event exists in Vodnjan, dedicated wholly to young olive oil in November. People usually gather to make common their love for olive oil while the farmers talk about the newest and highest quality oil.
Benefits of Olive Oil
1. It Combats Dandruff
If you have hair that is flaky and dry with loads of dandruff , then you should pay more attention . Using lemon juice enhances the ability of the oil to do this. The lemon juice’s acidic properties loosen the dandruff, making way for the olive oil to get to moisturizing the exfoliated skin layer. Simply mix a few drops of olive oil, lemon juice and water, then massage into the hair and let it sit for about 20 minutes before rinsing off and shampooing.
2. Softens Hair
Gather around, members of the brittle, rough hair clan, it’s good news time. Olive oil can solve your hair problems. It helps soften your hair strands and make it pliable. You no longer have to resort to conditioners that are no good and whose effects last for less than zero seconds. Simply rubbing a palmful of the essential oil through your strands and scalp every week will make all the difference.
3. Strengthens Hair and Enhances Hair Growth
Egg yolk boosts the effectiveness of olive oil in strengthening the hair and enhancing its growth as it is rich in protein, fats and vitamins. Simply mix two tbspns of olive oil with two egg yolks and add a little cold water. Then massage the mixture into the hair. It will help strengthen the follicles of your hair so they don’t get damaged easily. It will also help exfoliate the scalp, moisturize it and let its colour gain true expression.
4. Restores Damaged Hair
The hair usually gets damaged by excessive exposure to sunlight, exposure to a dry environment or harsh hair treatments. The hair salon is the first place many of us go to for treatment, or the store to get products that we think will fix our damaged hair. You don’t have to even leave your house to get your damaged hair back in top shape, all you have to do is check your kitchen cabinet and find the olive oil.
To use :
- You would have to protect your clothes with a towel. Place one around your shoulders.
- Get your hair combed out, so the olive oil can be absorbed easily.
- Pour a teaspoon of olive oil on your palm and rub it into your hair. Don’t let it touch your scalp.
- Apply some heat with a blow dryer for a few minutes. Set the blow dryer on medium heat and place it 8 inches from the head.
- Let the oil sit for about an hour If your hair is extremely damaged, then leave it on for 2 hours or even overnight.
- Cover the hair with a shower cap.
- After letting the oil penetrate, wash off with shampoo and rinse well.
5. Emphasizes Hair Type
The beautiful part about olive oil is that it can be used on any kind of hair texture as it tends to emphasize it, boost its volume and bring out its beauty. For example, thick hair benefits from olive oil as it can keep it strong and hydrated. The processed hair too benefits from olive oil. Processed hair usually suffers from dryness. It includes permed, bleached or relaxed hair. As olive oil has great moisturizing properties, it helps keep processed hair moisturized but always wait for about 72 hours after treatment before using the olive oil on it. It also smoothens broken hair and can generally be used as treatment for damaged hair, including split ends.
6. Fights Lice
As an essential oil, it helps get rid of head lice, as good as other essential oils or conditioning treatments . With a good comb, you can get all the lice out, along with their nits.
7. Helps Manage and Style Hair
If you often have a hard time styling your hair, it could be that your hair is undernourished and dehydrated. It makes it difficult to hold a curl or even straighten it out. A simple hot oil treatment can fix the problem and help the hair become manageable once again. All you have to do is coat the hair in olive oil (half cup)and soon enough, the moisture will return to your hair, making it easier to style.
Consider this article an answer from heaven . If you search your cabinet and you do not find any olive oil, go get one and try out its goodness. Then let us know what effects you took note of.